Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or PCOS is a condition caused by hormonal imabalance in the women. This health condition affects about 10 million peoplein the world. Factors like genetics and environment greatly affect the growth of PCOS. It is a cause for infertility in females. It affects their body physically as well as mentally.
PCOS also leads to the formation of cysts, weight gain, growth of hair on face and body parts, irregularities in the menstrual cycle and hair loss. The diagnosis for PCOS can be done through the examination of medical history, blood tests and ultrasound. The most important part of the treatment for PCOS includes a healthy lifestyle, targeted therapiesand proper medication.
Ayurveda for PCOS infertility, is the most holistic and natural way of treating PCOS. The studies in Ayurveda suggest that PCOS is caused by the hormonal imbalance. The doshas or the Ayurvedichumors when become excess, it causes imbalance. The Pitta (Fire), Kapha (Water) and Vatta are the primary doshas that affects PCOS. The aggravated forms of these doshas cause grime of the dhatus or tissues, namely rasa (nutrient plasma) and rakta (blood). This leads to the toxication in the weaker parts of the body.
Ayurvedic herbs for PCOS, mainly include Shatavari (Asparagus Racemosus), Shilajit (Purified Asphaltum), Turmeric (Curcuma Longa), Vibhitaki (TerminaliaBelerica), Cinnamon (CinnamomumZeylanicum), Karavellaka (MomordicaCharantia), Guduchi (TinosporaCordifolia), Neem (AzadirachtaIndica), Amala (EmblicaOfficinalis), Lodhra (SymplocosRacemosa), Meshashringi (GymnemaSylvestre), Ashoka (SaracaIndica), Haritaki (TerminaliaChebula), etc.
The amalgamation of powerful herbs strengthens the reproductive system and the female body in general. They are helpful in balancing the male hormones in the female body and treat inflammation. The herbs are effective in treating weight, insulin sensitivity, hair loss and gastric disorders.
Some of the basic herbs that are useful in treating PCOS are:
- Shilajit (Purified Asphaltum) – The herb has anti-inflammatory properties. It is helpful in the treatment of reproductive organs and boosts immunity and enhances the level of energy. It copes up the deficiency of iron and controls the flow of menstrual blood.
- Shatavari (Asparagasracemosus) – They are extremely rich in steroidal saponins, vitamin A, vitamin B1, B2, folic acid, minerals and anti-oxidants to strengthen the female body. It improves the sensitivity of insulin and has anti-diabetic properties.
- Karavellaka (Momordicacharantia)– It has anti-diabetic properties that treats insulin sensitivity. Treats digestive disorders, enhance immunity and regulates the periods. It also helps in conceiving.
- Haridra (Curcuma longa) – Commonly known as turmeric is benefits women suffering with PCOS. It detoxifies the body and develops resistance against diseases. It prevents weight gain and lessens hair fall.
- Vibhitaki (Terminaliabelerica) – It is a herb that controls the growth of excessive hormones and improves sugar metabolism. It helps hair to grow and prevents hair fall. It is ideal for trearing PCOS and has anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties.
- Guduchi (Tinosporacordifolia) – The herb is effective in regulating the sugar level in the body amd boosts immunity. It prevents formation of cancerous cysts and treats against hepatitis.